In psychology, self-esteem is the term used to describe a person’s level of self worth of self value. When a therapist works with a client to improve self esteem, the process is referred to as Self Esteem Counselling.
Self Esteem Counselling is an effective way to improve the way that you feel about yourself. By offering non-judgemental and warm support, research-based methods and effective tools and strategies, a therapist providing Self Esteem Counselling will assist you in overcoming the symptoms and outcomes your experience as a result of having low self esteem.
At Susan Blackburn Counselling & Psychotherapy, your Self Esteem Counselling will address:
– Low self-confidence
– Faulty beliefs about yourself (I am… inadequate, unlovable, unworthy, incompetent, unattractive, unintelligent)
– Irrational and distorted inner dialogues (I am sure that my boss is unhappy with me)
– An inability to determine who and when to trust
– Obsessive compulsive and addictive behaviour
– Self criticism
– Rigidity and perfectionism
– Self involvement
– Unreasonable expectations for yourself and others
– Worry, fear and anxiety (about being judged, criticized, rejected, making a mistake, looking foolish, being perceived as incompetent)
– Feeling overwhelmed and confused
– Becoming withdrawn and shutting down
– Pattern of painful relationships
– Passivity, aggression or passive-aggression
– Poor boundaries between yourself and others
– Ineffective communication skills
– People pleasing
As you achieve your Self Esteem Counselling goals and increase your level of confidence and self worth you will find that you experience many benefits, such as being more optimistic, assertive and energetic; having the ability to set effective goals and self-start instead of procrastinate, find acceptance and have compassion with yourself and others, staying motivated and determined, trusting your thoughts and feelings, having the courage to speak up, being open to positive and negative feedback from others, having the ability to learn from your mistakes, feeling more comfortable with taking risks, taking people at face value and being much more flexible in your attitude and behaviour.
Susan Blackburn Psychology offers Self Esteem Counselling by appointment at Yonge and Eglinton.